Iron Range Earth Fest
Save the date - Sat. April 21, 2018
10th Annual Iron Range Earth Fest Celebration!
Local traditions will get a new look at Earth Fest 2018. Through the theme “Reclaiming Traditions for a Sustainable Future” the 10th Annual Earth Fest event will highlight the value of knowledge from many traditions to our shared future. Explore this website to learn more about Earth Fest. AND check back often for updates!
Earth Fest 2018 will feature:
- Earth Fest Kick-Off on Friday, April 20 - “Lost Iron Range” presented by WDSE and hands-on cooking demonstrations of Iron Range recipes
- Keynote Frank Haney, culinary ethnobotanist and Executive Chef with the Sioux Chef
- Free performance by NE MN musician Gaelynn Lea
- Locally-made goods at the Earth Fest Marketplace
- Locally-inspired lunch from Natural Harvest Food Co-op and acoustic lunch with local musicians Silver Wilder
- Family Activities including Mr. Ed's Farm, archery, blacksmith demonstrations and more!
What is Earth Fest?
The Iron Range Earth Fest, hosted by the Iron Range Partnership for Sustainability, is a celebration of local traditions and practical resources for sustainable living in northeastern Minnesota. The event offers opportunities to:
- Explore how we can all strive to live in a more sustainable way at home and in our communities.
- Learn about new and existing technological approaches as well as rediscover some of our long standing local traditions.
- Tap into the knowledge of local experts to share their expertise on regional products, services, foods, traditions and our wilderness.
An emphasis is placed on local products, local services, local foods, local entertainment, and our local wilderness.
25% at the Holiday Inn Express Mountain Iron for Earth Fest 2018 Attendees!
Enjoy a film or get hands-on experience cooking delicious Iron Range recipes during the Earth Fest 2018 Kick-Off at Messiah Lutheran on Friday, April 20. Then stay overnight in comfort and explore Earth Fest on Saturday, April 21!
Present this coupon at check-in.
Contests at Earth Fest
Each year Earth Fest hosts to two competitions: Green Innovator's Expo for Iron Range area students and the Community Sustainability Initiative contest for anyone with an unique sustainability inspired project idea. Click below to learn more.
Past Earth Fest Event Information
9th Annual Iron Range Earth Fest
The 9th Annual Earth Fest (Sat. April 22, 2017) welcomed nearly 1200 attendees, exhibitors and vendors, speakers and volunteers into a conversation about sustainability on the Iron Range. The theme of Earth Fest 2017, Living Well on a Changing Planet, aimed to highlight the connections between personal, community and ecological wellness. This theme was reflected in the many presentations at Earth Fest, in the missions of the exhibitors and vendors at Earth Fest, and in the Community Sustainability Initiative and Green Innovator’s Expo projects, and in the hearts and minds of everyone participated in this engaging annual community event!
Earth Fest 2017 featured:
- 20 presentations and hands-on demonstrations on topics such as clean energy, local agriculture, personal wellness skills. The Earth Fest 2017 keynote, David Abazs of Round River Farm, presented "The Future of Iron Range Food and Farming - Growing Local Food, Creating Local Jobs." This keynote discussion featured Abazs' research that shows how we could grow all of our own food regionally, both generating local jobs and keeping our food dollars local.
- 78 exhibitors and vendors, featuring the new Earth Fest Marketplace at Messiah Lutheran.
- $2,200 awarded to 5 Community Sustainability Initiative projects.
- 20 teams from several area schools showcased projects as part of the 2017 Green Innovator's Expo.
- Low-waste initiatives to reduce waste in landfills through recycling and composting. 11,380 lbs. of glossy paper was collected to raise funds for the Mesabi East / VA / E-G Nordic Ski Team, and 2200 lbs. of e-Waste was recycled with a local business.
- 1200 Earth Fest participants.
See some pictures from Earth Fest 2017 on the IRPS Facebook Page.
Downtown Virginia Kick-Off - Friday, April 21
Earth Fest 2016 Recap
Earth Fest 2016 (Sat. April 23 in Mountain Iron) welcomed over 800 attendees, exhibitors and vendors, speakers and volunteers into a conversation about sustainability on the Iron Range. The theme of Earth Fest 2016, Living Local on a Changing Planet, was reflected in the many presentations at Earth Fest, in the missions of the exhibitors and vendors at Earth Fest, and in the Community Sustainability Initiative and Green Innovator’s Expo projects, and in the hearts and minds of everyone participated in this engaging annual community event!
Earth Fest 2016 featured:
- 14 presentations on topics such as local food, energy, wildlife, sustainable design and local entrepreneurship.
- 72 exhibitors and vendors.
- $2,200 awarded to 4 Community Sustainability Initiative projects.
- 20 teams showcasing projects as part of the 2016 Green Innovator's Expo.
- Low-waste initiatives to reduce waste in landfills through recycling and composting, and 12,020 lbs. of glossy paper collected to raise funds for the Mountain Iron-Buhl Nordic Ski Team.
- 800 Earth Fest participants.
See some pictures from Earth Fest 2016 on the IRPS Facebook Page.
Thank You Earth Fest 2016 Volunteers, Sponsors and Donors!
The Iron Range Partnership for Sustainability would like to thank all the volunteers who made Earth Fest 2016 possible. Over 400 volunteer hours went into planning, set-up and activities during the day of Earth Fest. The Iron Range Partnership for Sustainability would also like to thank the generous Earth Fest 2016 Sponsors and Community Sustainability Initiative Silent Auction donors. Earth Fest could not happen without the generous support of these organizations and individuals!
Explore our website to learn more about Earth Fest 2016 Sponsors, Exhibitors and Vendors, Presentations and Speakers, music and food, and Community Sustainability Initiative contest and the Green Innovator’s Expo.
Earth Fest 2015 Recap
The 7th Annual Iron Range Earth Fest was held on Saturday April 18, 2015 in Mountain Iron, Minnesota.
The event was a great success! Attendees enjoyed 11 different presentations, 65 exhibitors/vendors, the local music of Rob Wheeler and food with local ingredients by From the Farm catering. Earth Fest 2015 also hosted the 2nd Annual Community Sustainability Initiative contest and the Green Inventors Expo, and it was a “Towards Zero Waste” event. The Iron Range Earth Fest would not be possible without passionate volunteers. In fact, over 550 volunteer hours went into Earth Fest 2015! Thank you to everyone who made Earth Fest 2015 a wonderful place to learn, share and connect!